Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My Trip Abroad

So in three weeks I'm leaving to go to London. I have now, in the last two years, been to London three times. Seeing that my boyfriend is British we visit his family every Christmas and once in the summer. This year I'm bringing one of my best girlfriends with me who is so much fun and who I get fashion inspiration from all the time. So I gave her a lot of advice on what to pack and how to pack and it just inspired me to write a blog about packing for London and Europe in general. You definitely hear all kinds of crazy things and suggestions that people give you one of my first suggestion is always be prepared and comfortable.

Let's start with the most important thing in your suitcase. Currently suitcases come in all shapes, sizes and colors and while many advertise that they are featherlight, sometimes they're well... not. Make sure you check your airline's specific needs for weight. There a restriction on weight in your suitcase because restrictions on weight in American domestic flight are pretty standard at 50lbs but European travel is very different in these a completely different system which we all now so that brings me to my next point conversion make sure that you get an app for converting if you don't already have one and I highly recommend getting in on any of your phones or any of your portable gadget because you never know where and when you're going to need to know your different conversions including money, sizes, measurements, pretty much everything is different in the rest of the world. So make sure that when you're packing trying to get one of these new suitcases that says featherlight even though all of them advertise featherweight they're pretty much not all featherlight if you go to purchase a suitcase if you are fortunate to be able to find the real deal, those are really awesome they are feather light in the really convenient I love them personally. I'm carrying a Samsonite featherlight duffel bag which I love. I weighed this featherlight bag next to the Sampson a duffel and I found that by buying the duffel I wasn't losing any weight or gaining any weight in the difference of the bags but for the duffel it was more of a convenience thing for me. I do live in the city and my closet is already packed full, so the convenience of having a duffel that folds, is much easier than a square suitcase so for me I like the convenience of a duffel bag.

Next we talk about carry-on luggage. This also has restrictions on size and weight and it does vary, though for international flights the most standard is 22lbs or 10kg in the rest of the world. More importantly for liquids or creams the limit on size is 3.4oz for traveling. You will notice abroad they do furnish you with clear baggies and they're pretty strict when you're coming back. When you're going use your normal travel size toiletries that you wouldn't any domestic flight definitely always check TSA's website because they always have different restrictions but rule of thumb for me 3.4oz or less.

So now we know what we are going to pack and we have our bag next is the most important thing is comfortable shoes. We always want to go out and buy all new clothes for our journey and for new adventures especially, if you're going to be going to somewhere exciting like London then don't buy anything stop what you're doing and just don't even pack just remember save all that money and just shop in London. There are so many different types of styles and amazing stores and some that are very similar to ours which I'll go over in the later in this blog but now let's talk about shoes and comfort. I always recommend a nice calf a midcalf are up to the knee leather boot flat maybe a slight heel but nothing where you can't walk for a while. One thing about London is you're going to be doing a lot of walking because it's absolutely beautiful at the parks the flowers the pubs the city is so intimate and the west-end is small enough where you can walk around. Also you have the utilization of the tube, definitely one thing don't forget also you can download the Tube Map app on your iPhone. This is so useful and a lot of the stations in London currently are supporting free Wi-Fi.

You definitely want a walking shoe something that's comfortable and you want to make sure that it's definitely good for slipping as it definitely rains a lot in London and it can be very slippery. You also want something that is like I said going to be warm and when you're walking around, it's good to have walking shoes but I prefer a pair of very comfortable boots or something that's covering up my pants because by the time I get back to my hotel or back to the house, I definitely don't want my pants all wet and soggy - would you? You also want to pack a pair of nice dress shoes London has some of the best restaurants and best chefs known in the world, definitely Indian food is to die for also Jamie Oliver's restaurant is pretty good it's definitely one of my favorites they have them everywhere so it's really great food, I also definitely say wear a small kitten heel possibly a close toed shoe, definitely check out the nightlife and you're going to want to dress up a little more. But then again boots can look great with a cute little black dress so never underestimate the power of a nice pair of black leather boots. The key to packing shoes for a place like London is that it is slippery, you definitely want to make sure that you're not going to slip in your shoes. You don't want anything that you hadn't broken in already because you're going to be walking a lot and you want to make sure that you don't get blisters. Walking around in your favourite heels might be fashionable but if your shoes cause your feet will swell to rub up against the inside to the point that you're cutting up your toes, it's so not worth it. Some shoes are not "made for walking" no matter what they tell you in any song. And remember it does rain and you want something that's not going to get destroyed, so definitely keep your suede boots at home unless they are waterproof. A good pair of UGGs is awesome but I never want to walk in entire city in a pair of UGGs, I prefer a little more style and a little more class. Let's keep the UGGs to anywhere in the morning and running to the grocery store ladies. And don't forget you definitely want to think about weight whatever you wear on the plane that's pretty much where you're going to your have your shoes, so just wear them on the plane.

Next let's talk about pants. I always say; leggings are amazing, tights are great, dresses are easy to dress up and dressed down, the basic black dress, a long maxi dress can be worn with the sweater definitely go with things that are very versatile. A pair of jeans; never live without obviously, I always recommend lazy pants, which my boyfriend and I call them, which are kind a like sport pants maybe yoga pants but something you can just lounge around in. Jeans and black pants can be so Universal for going out during the day and night it's definitely chilly at night in London so depending on where you're from and what you're used to just be prepared. Next we're going to go with tops my recommendation is something that doesn't wrinkle there's a very thin silk Modell material that I always stick to for traveling it's a light and it is so stylish with the long bat wing and you can wear it tucked in or with your yoga pants and it still looks great. Those are some of my favorite secret pieces that I never go without traveling and silk modell as it doesn't wrinkle. Also if you have any issues with the wrinkles put your shirt on a hanger and hang it in your steaming shower when you take one and poof they're probably gone there's also something that you can buy called downy wrinkle release her I usually always travel with the downy wrinkle release her travels travel size it is definitely really works amazing. Obviously most hotels have irons and ironing board but when you're traveling around and seeing everything and your time is limited. Who has time to pull out the ironing board and iron? Let's be honest, so let's go with fabrics that don't wrinkle and a little bit of wrinkle release and some easy fixes to those wrinkles will definitely make your day go by faster. One thing's for sure, most fabrics that don't wrinkle are usually comfortable or the complete opposite and can be like a complete cotton nightmare. Always when traveling stick with basic pallets, I stick with black and gray and throw in a pop of color because I love color and I think it's fun but I usually stick with colorful things that would be more of a scarf. When you have stick with basic pallets, it's really easy to mix and match and keep a really small basic wardrobe because let's face it ladies, we're going to want to shop and it's going to just be so much fun to shop and then there's souvenirs and just everywhere that you get to go you're just going to go crazy so it is definitely a great idea to follow my shopping strategy.

My next suggestion is bring all of your travel needs because especially add Aleve, things like this that you need especially as women at that time of month make sure you have them on hand because there they don't have any designer brands it's definitely a possibility that you're going to get a headache or you're going to have your monthly friend come and visit at some random time so you don't want to be caught with your knickers down so to say. They do have ibuprofen and you can buy it over-the-counter and they also have for pain reliever Paracetamol, if you ask any of the chemists a.k.a. pharmacists they are the really friendly and they will definitely help you get what you need but once again. I recommend make sure you take any medications that are specifically designed for something, and those that you take and use all the time.

Also if your phone carrier is T-Mobile like mine, you are in heaven. T-Mobile gives you unlimited data and unlimited text messages, while you are in an overseas in London. T-Mobile is also there definitely call them and see but I know the international rates are $0.20 a minute and if you're like me and everyone has iPhones and we just iMessage or we just talk on FaceTime or FaceTime Audio for quick calls. And let's be serious everyone including our grandmothers or texting. Definitely if you decide to not use your cell phone while you're there because of any reason just go to any little cell phone store and I recommend once again T-Mobile because they usually have the best plans and you can just buy a prepaid T-Mobile Sim card while you're there. Rates are also much cheaper there, you can get an entire practically unlimited pay-go monthly plan for the equivalent of $20 USD.

The next thing I recommend is especially London is get a very light travel size umbrella and that will easily fit into the pocket of your coat or your handbag, which we will get into her into this blog.

So now that we're all packed and ready to go and we got our outfits together are comfortable shoes boots plenty of room left in our suitcase to shop and our umbrella. Let's move onto the fun part my favorite places to go shopping in London

When you want to hit up anything designer definitely head to Harrods. Here it is a must see on every girl shopping list of touring you have to go to Harrods, it's a must do, I definitely recommend maybe eating in one of the restaurants, checking out the tea room, it is just so big and so much to do and inspiration is everywhere and every designer you could possibly imagine under one easy roof and air-conditioning to comfort. You also have Oxford Circus, which is just one store after the next, I recommend things that are really fun and unique to each individual region something that's for Milear that I love to shop and every single country I go to urban outfitters, yes there is an urban outfitters in London and they are amazing. It's very different and it's fun and they have a lot of different things they are that they don't have in America so definitely on the list. Zara is also great in the UK they are actually less cheaper than they are in the States and it's pretty interesting obviously one of the new and upcoming stores out of London is Topshop, I definitely recommend Topshop in London, definitely the one across the street from harrods. it's it's a pretty humongous. When your souvenir shopping there are so many little shops everywhere and you're not really sure about the street vendors but there's some really good deals on the street vendors right there and Piccadilly Circus there about £5.00 for some of the T-shirts and a pretty decent quality if you're in a hurry and you're just swinging by don't be afraid and definitely bargaining is a great thing to do.

One of my favorite places to shop and definitely for souvenirs is Primark. I can't even tell you how much I am in love with this store not for just the simple fact that it is so cheap but I literally cannot leave the store without buying something and they have some awesome stuff. I definitely love their sweaters with the American Star Spangled Banner flag and with the British Union Flag on them I think they're £10.00 for a hoodie pullover and they are so soft and durable and we've been washing them for over a year and they still look just as good as new, which is really surprising for the amount of money and how cheap everything is in Primark. You really will have so much fun at Primark, there's one in Oxford Circus there's one also on Bond Street and they're just three stories and their humongous and there's definitely the dressing rooms is something I advise try everything on and definitely read my blog about measuring up and knowing your size in Europe, it will make it shops so much faster because their dressing room policies are very different than ours and it's a little more strict at Primark then I've seen it any other stores.

Then there is something that every fashionista that ever is watch TV knows about which is TJ Maxx in London they are called TK Maxx and genuinely the same exact company they give you the same bargain prices for designer clothes and it is a must hit up because they have all the European designers for the same deals that we get here in the States, right there for you in London. So not only are the some of the most fun places to see on your walk-through shopping areas but definitely go to the Victoria secrets off Bond Street that's a must see that is probably one of the most gorgeous Victoria's Secret I've ever seen in my life it has a crystal stair case all the way up with the mirrors in the back it is just you get lost in the Victoria's Secret's on Bond Street. Obviously there are so many common designers and fun things to do checking out Carnaby Street and some of the shoe designers are just out of this world. It's like I'm died and went to heaven when I'm on Carnaby Street and all of the shoe stores.

My one favorite place that is probably one of the most common trendy places in London is Camden town market on Sunday has the electric market. Camden Town itself has a bunch of different markets and it's really a trendy hot place I don't know how to explain it if you've been away or if you're from LA, it's very similar to Melrose that's where you get most of your fun you definitely find some of the cool is a vintage jobs and jury coats handmade crafts hand-painted items one of the kinds of things that you will see everywhere and things that you will never see again it's definitely my favorite place and if your time is limited and you can't make it on a Sunday. Where they have for five different markets I definitely recommend checking out the street market the stables market the stable market and Cammin town is huge and it's an old horse stables. Little vintage boutiques are all built right out of all the horse stables it's a really nice and it's definitely part of London's history so check that out to should definitely be on your list of places to go another fun market is the Portobello Street Market and that one I believe is only on Sunday too I definitely recommend if you're not going in the summer to check when these markets are open and if they are open before you leave some of them aren't open in the winter and definitely some of the Tourist sites are also close during the winter. You definitely want to know about all of the museums and all of the amazing things definitely see the changing of the guard's try to go through Buckingham palace, go through Hyde Park get lost in London because there is just so many beautiful places and cute little side streets that you just never even knew of and you're like "oh my gosh this is the cutest store I've ever seen in my entire life" or "this is the cutest little market" and it's just a lot of fun to really just get lost and walk around.

So now that I have you addicted to going to shop in London I hope I see everyone there on a big shopping tour one day because that would be the most amazing thing ever I would love to take everyone on a pole shopping tour of London so I will keep everyone updated on my blog about how my girlfriend and I fared out in London we actually want to blog about it so this should be fine keep you posted on what's going to come to LA girls and made London.  

No comments:

Post a Comment